Header pic

Header pic

Friday, January 1, 2010

Still Trying to Answer That Question

Why do I write? I've been wrestling with that question for some time now, and a definitive, succinct answer to it eludes me. However, I recently inched a bit closer to an answer while listening to an interview with world renowned cellist, Yo-Yo Ma. I have known of Mr. Ma and his musicianship for many years, but had not listened to any of his work until the day of the referenced interview.

To say I was touched by his mastery of an instrument which has made his a household name would be an understatement. Emotionally, I was moved by the conversation that took place between his brain, heart, hands and cello. I want to move people that way. I want to touch people with words the way I was touched by those musical notes. Actually, it isn't so much the words I want to touch others with as much as the thoughts behind them; words are just a vehicle.

Why not take writing classes and attend writing workshops? The simple answer is: I dread convention and conformity. Everyday I go along to get along to survive. I adhere to regulations specific to my field of work, so when I embark on a creative venture, I want to be free. Real freedom is raw, unpolished, organic and honest - real freedom is natural. Real freedom is the embarrassing things young children say or ask with no regard for who might be in earshot. That kind of honesty is the antithesis of political correctness. It is neither god nor evil, black nor white, loving nor hateful; it just IS. It is truth as each individual perceives it. Albeit well intentioned, classes and workshops are designed to indoctrinate their participants. While I can never again be as honest as a young child, I find that level of honesty something worthy of striving toward in my writing. In my mind that is what keeping it real is supposed to be about.

So, why do I write? I still don't have a definitive answer. I write, in part, because I find it liberating. While writing, I can shed my armor and allow myself to feel without hindrances and express those feelings with all the honesty I can muster. My hope is when others read my words they will sense the honesty and maybe even be moved, just as I was moved by Yo-Yo Ma's music.

1 comment:

Alex J. said...

It's always difficult to explain a passion.

Post a Comment