Header pic

Header pic

Sunday, June 3, 2018

The Great Pretender



Through your peripheral did you notice
my struggles maintaining focus
on any distraction I could find
when your attention was not mine?

See I could watch you in them jeans
move to The Blues swaying that thang
to those bass grooves and guitar twangs           
like you were food feeding my soul…

Yet, I tried to mask the loss of my control
over my feelings
and hide my stolen glances at your thighs.
Was I caught stealing?

I’m sure the other matrons
have suspicions; I can’t give them
confirmation
like that somehow makes a difference.

Still, I played my position
while I harbored wayward thoughts.
Yes, discretion was my mission
yet, I wonder if you caught
me wanting you like I was 21 again.
I can’t act grown with you around
So I pretend as if I am…

-HymnAgen

“…Too real is this feeling of make believe.
Too real when I feel what my heart can't conceal         
Ooh Ooh yes, I'm the great pretender.”

- The Platters

No comments:

Post a Comment