Header pic

Header pic

Sunday, August 3, 2014

You Say You Love Me As I Am (inspired by "You Can't Change a Man" by the Poetess tretre on PoetryVibe)

You say you love me as I am,

but there’s no possible way you can
while still clinging to the hope
my love for you somehow evokes
a need in me to modify my behavior.

When you love me as I am,
you accept and understand
that I cannot change a thing that’s in my nature.

My compulsions and my vices
are completely different things;
I may give up cigarettes
but take up gambling and drink.

So if you love me, just accept me.
How I am is what you’ll get.

If the two of us connect,
and share a mutual respect
I will gladly swap my vices
for some others you can bear –

ideally, even share.

But baby doll, let me be clear;

the components of my character
are the things that make me “me.”
They’re the things that you adore –
my endearing qualities.

You like when I get a jealous
of your attention from other fellas,
feel secure when I’m protective,
but baby that’s ‘cause I’m possessive.
However, you don’t like me saying that you’re mine.

Hold up.

Blow the whistle.

Let’s call time.

There’s a flag on the play.

No one these days can have it both ways.

So if you love me, girl just love me –
fine and fit ‘til I’m old and fat.
When your nipples reach your belly
and the rolls by your bra strap
start to appear, I’ll still be here.

That is what acceptance does.

I’ll accept you as you are then

because you took me as I was.

-HymnAgen


Share on Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment